Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Just one of my many addictions


I love candles!!  


Lots and lots of candles all around the house and all over the patio!  I'm sure a lot of this has quite a bit to do with the lighting freak that I fully admit I am.  My husband can tell you volumes about the lengthy discussions we have had, well maybe it's just me talking a lot and him trying to walk away.  But seriously it matters.  My long term plan for the indoor lighting includes pink light bulbs so my skin still looks youthful.    Don't laugh, I'm seriously considering it.  Hmmm, maybe I should go ahead and purchase them.  Anywho, for now just tons and tons of beautiful flickering amber flames with lovely scents EVERYWHERE!!!

Sooner or later you reach the bottom of that favorite candle.  And I don't know about you, but it just kills me to toss it in the rubbish (that was for you ~ Elise and Helen).  There's still some goodness in there and I want it!  And so I am off to the kitchen to make yet another mess today.  

Climbing to the top of my closet I remembered a box of my last endeavor at candle making from scratch.  Many wicks of different sizes, molds, wax coloring blocks, candy thermometer, lovely essential oils.....Oooo,  I forgot I had those.  You name it, it's in there!  Dig, dig, dig....man I sure spent a bunch of money on this stuff.  

There they are, the wicks.  That's all I need!  

I've gathered up all of the dead candles, plus the ones I stashed under the sink, and a container or two to make my new candle.  Containers that originally had candles in them and a couple of days ago I served fresh veggies in for a party.  (Note:  NOT the one in the picture)  I will call that RE-RE purposing!

Calphalon, it's not just for food!!

Here's how hard this was.   I put a bit of water in a saucepan over low heat.  Dropped my old jar candle (that was a fabulous Tyler Candle, yum) into the water.  Let it melt slowly.  Pop one of your wicks into your re-re purposed container.  When the wax is completely liquid again, slowly pour it into your container.  

New Candles!!!

Glade brand made their "fancy" candles that change scents as you burn them down.  Well, so do mine and they are FREE!

Just as a last note, I'm not 100%  sure about this, maybe I just got lucky but I don't think so.  In the past, each time I have made candles, they never cooled evenly.  They appeared to dip down in the middle as they cooled.  The first one I made (the one in the back of the picture) did this too.  The second one (the one in the forefront of this photo) did not.  The only difference between the two;  the second one was near the warmth of the stove the entire time.  Meaning, the glass stayed warm as the wax cooled.  That's got to be it!

So, pleeeease don't throw away your old containers.  Michaels and Hobby Lobby have wicks and this is just too easy.  Glade won't have anything on you!  You will look beautiful (and youthful) in the candle light and your home will smell fabulous!!

Namaste ~
LeslieMichele